Whispersync issue: Audible to Kindle on iOS

I upgraded a Kindle book by buying the Whispersync For Voice enabled Audible book. I did this through Audible’s matchmaker service.

The problem: Kindle will not update with the last location heard on the Audible app. The Kindle iOS and web apps will sync with each other, and Audible will always recognize the last position read in Kindle (iOS and web) and ask if I want to continue from that location.

Environment: 

  • iPhone 5, running iOS 9.3.4
  • iOS Audible app, version 2.14 (416)
  • Kindle for iPhone, version 5.1
  • Kindle web app (read.amazon.com)

Attempted solutions:

  • Delete and re-download book in both Audible and Kindle apps.
  • Delete and reinstall Kindle and Audible apps.  
  • Reboot phone. 
  • Manually hit the sync button in both Kindle and Audible.
  • In Amazon account, manually re-deliver book to Kindle app. 

Audible tech support suggested deleting/reinstalling the app and rebooting the phone.

The eventual (and accidental) solution: for unrelated reasons I restored my phone from a backup, which forced me to re-download the book. I was then having issues playing the book at all, so in desperation I changed the Audible setting for “Download by part” to Single-Part from Multi-Part, and downloaded the book again. 

Something I hadn’t seen before–when you change that setting to Multi-Part, a message pops up warning you that keeping audiobooks as a single file is better for syncing across devices. I do not remember seeing this when I originally changed it to Multi-Part. I also don’t know why I assumed at the time that Multi-Part must be better…probably because of the way Kindle books are broken up into locations.

don’t choose multi-part
Syncing now works both ways.

Installing Debian on Orange Pi PC

After misinterpreting the forum and trying to use loboris’ instructions on the official OrangePi Debian Server image, then having temporary success with a friend’s help, I’ve finally got it working.

The short story is to use loboris’ image, and his uImage and script.bin files, and follow the instructions here.

Step 6 took place within the BOOT folder — so really just copying the uImage_OPI-2 file over uImage, and script.bin.OPI-PC_720p60 over script.bin. First make sure you’ve copied the most up-to-date versions of those two files into the BOOT folder.

My initial error on step 6 was to assume that I was copying from the non-SD location and copying onto the SD. So I started in dev/sda and tried copying into dev/sdb (i.e. BOOT)

I ran through all the steps using Lubuntu. It was quick and works.

when your sd card won’t format

I wanted to reclaim my Kingston 4GB SD card that had two partitions on it (70MB and 3.6GB), for use as a boot disc for my Raspberry Pi, but using the built-in partition manager (Disk Management) in Windows 7 and the SDFormatter that rPi.org recommends only enabled me to format or delete the smaller of the two partitions.

UPDATE: SDFormatter was version 4.0, and is actually the tool distributed by the SD Card Association. Official, but useless for this task.

I still don’t know why this was the case, and since I’ve now found a fix I don’t really care enough to figure out what the issue was (especially considering my searching for an answer brought me to many other people with the same problem, and not always reasons or reproducible results).

Frustrated with the lack of ability to completely wipe the card, I remembered the way I most commonly format SD cards — my camera. I had no idea if the internal “format” option would wipe all partitions on the card, but I figured it was a good hunch.

When I popped the card into the camera, it only showed space available for three photos — which tells me it was reading the 70MB partition. After formatting the card via the camera’s internal menus, the entire 4GB was available for photos.

I put the card back in my computer and confirmed that yes, there was now only one partition on the card, and it was alloted the entire space on the card.

So, a quick fix for the SD card partition problem: use your camera to format the card.

Apparently this is my answer to every SD card problem…

[FWIW, it was a Pentax K-x DSLR.]

Changing languages on a foreign computer with Windows 7

I just bought a new Asus Eee PC with Windows 7 installed, and while the vendor was nice enough to set the default language to English instead of the local Thai, there were still some programs where Thai was the only language displayed.

One example was a photo program that came pre-installed. Another was the Asus LiveUpdate installer, which I downloaded for checking on firmware updates for the netbook. These programs offered no option for changing the language, so this was obviously a system setting within Windows.

All Thai, no idea.

If you’re using Windows 7, there are six simple steps you can follow to fix this problem.

Note: If you have any documents open, save them now, as you’ll be asked to restart the computer in the final step.

  1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard OR click the Windows logo at the bottom-left of your screen

  2. type “Region and Language” in the search bar and select that menu item. This window should open:

    Region and Language settings in Windows 7

  3. Click on “Administrative” on the top-right

  4. Click on “Change system locale…” (as seen below)

    Change system locale settings in Windows 7

  5. Choose the language of your choice and click “OK”

  6. When asked, click “Restart now” (you can still go and save things at this point before clicking the button)

Presto-chango it’s legible again!

English Menus