I upgraded a Kindle book by buying the Whispersync For Voice enabled Audible book. I did this through Audible’s matchmaker service.
The problem: Kindle will not update with the last location heard on the Audible app. The Kindle iOS and web apps will sync with each other, and Audible will always recognize the last position read in Kindle (iOS and web) and ask if I want to continue from that location.
- iPhone 5, running iOS 9.3.4
- iOS Audible app, version 2.14 (416)
- Kindle for iPhone, version 5.1
- Kindle web app (read.amazon.com)
- Delete and re-download book in both Audible and Kindle apps.
- Delete and reinstall Kindle and Audible apps.
- Reboot phone.
- Manually hit the sync button in both Kindle and Audible.
- In Amazon account, manually re-deliver book to Kindle app.
Audible tech support suggested deleting/reinstalling the app and rebooting the phone.
The eventual (and accidental) solution: for unrelated reasons I restored my phone from a backup, which forced me to re-download the book. I was then having issues playing the book at all, so in desperation I changed the Audible setting for “Download by part” to Single-Part from Multi-Part, and downloaded the book again.
Something I hadn’t seen before–when you change that setting to Multi-Part, a message pops up warning you that keeping audiobooks as a single file is better for syncing across devices. I do not remember seeing this when I originally changed it to Multi-Part. I also don’t know why I assumed at the time that Multi-Part must be better…probably because of the way Kindle books are broken up into locations.
Syncing now works both ways.